Next Care on Caroline St. - Never Go To Next Care! ~ DVT - Living With Deep Vein Thrombosis

Monday, March 17, 2008

Next Care on Caroline St. - Never Go To Next Care!


Next Care (http://www.nextcare.com/) almost cost me my life.

I went to the Next Care facility located close to Little Five Points in Atlanta, This is the Next Care specifically located in the Edgewood Retail District on Caroline Street (1220 Caroline St., Suite 230, Atlanta, GA 30307). Me and my friends refer to this mammoth shopping center close to L5P as El Grande.

Anyhow, this was the first facility I went to when I thought this blood clot was a leg cramp gone bad. I will not name the doctor at this Next Care emergency clinic on Caroline Street but this quack almost cost me life.

First the receptionist would not take me without my insurance card. Granted it took a lot to walk up the large flight of stairs with a blood clot in my leg ready to kill me at any second but it took even more to have this receptionist tell me that she could not see me until I walked back down the stairs to my car and retrieved my insurance card. I asked the lady nicely if I could get it after the doctor looked at me and the answer was no.

Second after a seemingly meaningless long wait, since I was the only person in there, the doctor saw me. He asked me what I thought the problem was. I told him I thought it was a cramp but my friends were telling me that it could be a blood clot and that I should have it checked out (thanks Ken). The doctor squeezed my leg (one of the worst things you could do since it could force the clot to move) and repeated this "I think it might be a pulled muscle or a blood clot." My mouth gaped open.

I left in shock and called a real doctor. I thought this "Emergency Clinic" would give me some insight into what was going on. They didn't. I was nervous about going to a real doctor because of what they might say but I am telling you don't wait. If you have a twinge of pain or something that feels like a pulled muscle or a leg cramp - get it checked out at a hospital or by your normal physician.

I could have died with the care that was provided by Next Care. Do not use these emergency clinics, they take your money and provide information that is below what you can find yourself on the Internet. Go to a real hospital or doctor if you are sick.