What is a Vena Cava Filter and How Does this filter help with DVT's and blood clots ~ DVT - Living With Deep Vein Thrombosis

Thursday, March 20, 2008

What is a Vena Cava Filter and How Does this filter help with DVT's and blood clots

Okay I finally am getting to the topic of machinery that they installed in my body. First off let me give a little history. I had a blood clot in my leg that felt like a severe muscle cramp or pulled muscle. I went into to get it removed and was put on Heprin. 


I was release from the hospital and formed another blood clot. I was readmitted to the hospital and was put on heprin again. This time the doctors decided to install a Vena Cava filter in me.

I was surprised to find out this device does limit diving even though I can find no eveidence of this anywhere  (the doctor says the warning is on the box) . I will be calling their offices to make sure this is the case.

This is what the filter looks like:

Well anyways this Braun filter that they installed in me has the potential to stop a floating blood clot from going into my lungs and brain. Even though the doctor told me that I have blood clots already in my lungs and more than likely have some in my brain, I guess this is just a precautionary procedure to stop more from coming in.

This is how it works (click the image  below to make it bigger):




Check out these links for in-depth information and clinical trials with this filter. These links were not easy to find: